At least 320 people have been killed in Dariya,
a suburb of Damascus,
an opposition group says. The opposition and government blame each other for
the deaths
![]() | ||||||
Bloodied bodies
lay strewn in the streets, in basements and even in the cemetery in the
besieged Damascus suburb of Dariya, site of what
may be the largest mass killing to date in more than 17 months of fighting in Syria,
according to opposition and pro-government accounts Sunday.
Video posted
Sunday on the Internet purported to show groups of victims in Dariya being
buried in a mass grave, a deep trench several yards long.
"We are
finding bodies everywhere. What has happened in Dariya is the most appalling of
what has happened in the revolution till now, what has happened in Syria till
now," said an opposition activist who goes by the name Abu Kinan for
security reasons. "The smell of death is everywhere."
At least 320
people have been killed in Dariya, a working-class town southwest of the
capital, since the military launched an assault on the suburb five days ago,
said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based group opposed to
President Bashar Assad.
The killings
reported in Dariya contributed to a death toll Saturday that topped 400
throughout Syria,
according to the Local Coordination Committees, an opposition umbrella
coalition. It appears to be the largest single-day death toll reported to date
in the conflict. The group reported more than 200 people killed Sunday.
The numbers could
not be independently confirmed. The government has accused the opposition of
exaggerating death tolls and inventing massacres in a bid to discredit the
armed forces.
According to United Nations figures, at least
17,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in Syria since antigovernment protests
broke out in March 2011. The opposition puts the death toll at more than
20,000.
Verifying
casualty counts in Syria
has become more difficult with the departure of United Nations monitors, who
had visited some previous massacre sites and provided confirmation of the
numbers killed and injured. With the U.N. monitoring mission over, there was
little prospect Sunday of any independent investigation into the killings in
Dariya. The Syrian government places severe restrictions on media coverage.
Opposition
advocates blamed government troops and plainclothes militiamen for the
killings. The government blamed "terrorists," its usual term for
armed rebels.
The opposition
says many victims in Dariya, previously a stronghold of rebels seeking to oust
Assad, were executed after pro-government forces entered the town Friday.
Others were killed in shelling or shot by snipers, the opposition says.
Opposition
activists said many victims were taken prisoner by government forces and
executed in basements. In one grisly discovery Saturday, more than 120 bodies
were found in one basement, activists said.
According to
opposition activists, more than 100 additional bodies were discovered Sunday as
government forces withdrew to the town's outskirts and residents were able to
begin searching more thoroughly.
Most victims were
men, but many women and children were also among the dead, the opposition said.
Even the
pro-government Syrian TV channel Addounia showed images of residents who had
apparently been killed in the midst of seemingly routine daily activities. The
station aired footage of a girl killed on a street, a man fallen from his
motorcycle, and several bodies at a cemetery.
"As we have
become accustomed, every time we enter an area that has terrorists, they have
committed crimes and killings in the name of freedom," the Addounia
reporter said in her report.
As the camera
scanned behind her and got closer on a man shot to death in the driver's seat
of a blue pickup truck, she added, "This is their doctrine and this is how
they think."
The Addounia
footage from Dariya that aired Sunday showed bloodied bodies on streets, in
homes and scattered in a cemetery. Many victims appeared to be women and
children. The members of one entire family executed in their home were shot
because they didn't support the "terrorists," a soldier told the
station's reporter.
On Sunday, the
army returned to some Dariya neighborhoods that had been raided the day before,
leading to the deaths of additional residents, said Abu Kinan, the opposition
activist.
The government
onslaught against Dariya began last week when regime forces began shelling from
tanks, helicopters and fighter jets, according to opposition activists. It was
the latest in what the opposition calls a methodical attempt to retake and
punish rebel-held neighborhoods in Damascus
and surrounding suburbs. The assault on Dariya and other suburbs followed an
uprising last month that saw intense combat in many parts of the city.
The Syrian
military eventually crushed the rebellion in the capital districts. The army
then moved its focus to outlying areas such as Dariya.
After fighters
with the Free Syrian Army, the rebel
umbrella group, withdrew from the town Friday night, soldiers accompanied by shabiha militia members stormed in,
opposition groups said. They raided homes and arrested many, taking prisoners
to the basements of empty buildings where they were shot execution-style,
according to opposition accounts.
Before Dariya,
the opposition said, dozens were killed in Moadamyeh al-Sham, another Damascus suburb, and on Sunday military forces were
reported to be moving toward the nearby town of Ajdaideh, the opposition said.
The
pro-government Addounia channel, reporting on the violence in the Damascus suburbs, aired a
surreal sequence in which a reporter, standing in the cemetery where fresh
corpses were tossed about, announced the discovery of a woman shot but
"clinging to life." The camera cut to a woman lying on the ground,
her head resting on a shattered stone grave marker, her hands bloody from her wound.
"I was
heading to Damascus
with my husband and children and suddenly I found myself like this,"
explained the wounded woman, who said that her husband worked for state
security and that she didn't know what had happened to him or her three
children.
"Who hit you,
ma'am? Tell us," the reporter said.
"I don't
know," she said. "I don't remember anything, I don't remember, except
that I was shot."
Once the brief
interview was over, army soldiers arrived and took the wounded woman away on a
stretcher.
A Times staff
writer in Beirut and special correspondent Rima Marrouch in Antakya, Turkey,
contributed to this report.
|
0 comments:
Post a Comment